Job Status: Full time
Job Type: Licensed Practical Nurse
Shift: 8:45 to 5:00
JOB SUMMARY: Provides nursing care and associated clinical duties and responsibilities in a medical office setting within the scope of a Licensed Practical Nurse, licensed in the State of New York under the direction of a Registered Professional Nurse (RN), physician, or other authorized* provider. Provides assistance or performs other duties as requested by the Director of Clinical Services.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interviews patients regarding their health history and documents pertinent information about medications and present symptoms.
- Accurately measures and records vital signs as designated by the physician/*provider. (i.e. height, weight, blood pressure and TPR).
- Performs nursing visits which may include blood pressure monitoring and minor diagnostic procedures (i.e. EKG, PFT, and Peak Flow) per physician/provider order and reports results to physician/provider for assessment.
- Schedules and confirms appointments according to physician’s policies and procedures; notifies patient service desk of schedule changes.
- Performs direct patient care and procedures within the scope of practice as ordered by physician/provider including but not limited to administering medication, injections, treatments and infusions (certification required).
- Rooms and prepares patients for examination. Assists physician/provider with all examinations and procedures when requested.
- Practices principles of infection control and safety; prepares and cleans exam rooms and equipment to decrease the possibility of cross contamination in compliance with infection control and universal precaution standards.
- Organizes reports results, telephone messages, or other information and provides information to the physician/provider at intervals throughout the day for the physician/provider to make informed decisions relating to the patient’s care and treatment.
- Organizes and maintains an efficient work environment; stocks exam rooms with sufficient supplies and equipment; maintains adequate stock of necessary office supplies. Conducts monthly inspections of crash cart supplies.
- Maintains and monitors patient care equipment in accordance with quality assurance recommendations.
- Maintains accurate, timely documentation in the patient’s medical record, logs, or inventory as directed.
- Provides educational materials to patients regarding treatment, health promotion and disease prevention as directed by the physician/provider.
- Participates in staff meetings, in-services training and continuing education programs as deemed necessary by the Clinical Director or designee or the physician/provider.
- Phones in authorized prescriptions and contacts patients with results of lab and/or diagnostic testing per physician/provider direction.
- At the direction of the Clinical Director or designee, may float to other physician’s offices and cover telephones as needed.
- Adheres to all SDMG Security and Confidentiality policies and procedures in regards to all daily job functions.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills in all interactions and communications with patients and their families, co-workers inter and intra departmentally, and visitors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
* Provider defined as Licensed Nurse Practitioner (NP, ANP, and FNP) or licensed Physician Assistant (PA).
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHERS: Direct relationship with patients/families, physicians/providers, co-workers and staff from other departments/services.
1.Must possess a New York State license and current registration for Licensed Practical Nursing.
2.One to two years experience in ambulatory care, preferably in a medical office setting.
3.CPR certificate required. Will provide @ no cost to staff.
4.Must be able to record and enter data accurately. Demonstrate verbal and written communication in a clear, concise manner.
5.Must be able to work well with staff and patients in a cross-cultural setting.
1.Fine manipulation of the hands for frequent use of computer and telephone and occasional use of copier.
2.Must be able to stand, walk, sit, bend, twist, squat and reach above the shoulder.
3.Repetitive use of the hands for simple grasping, pushing, pulling and/or typing i.e. keyboard, medical instruments.
4.Acute speech, vision, hearing and sense of touch and smell required.
5.Must have the ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs. using proper lifting techniques.
6.Must be able to work around health risks associated with being around ill patients.
Protective clothing is required i.e. gloves.
Compensation range $22 to $36 per hour
DISCLOSURE AS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAWS, THE SALARY RANGE FOR THIS POSITION IS NOTED. THE ACTUAL COMPENSATION MAY VARY BASED ON WORK EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SAID LEVEL. THE SALARY RANGE IS SDMG’S GOOD FAITH BELIEF AT THE TIME OF THIS POSTING.
Slocum-Dickson Medical Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive starting salaries and an excellent benefit package. Operating hours are based on the position and departmental needs.